Current Affairs – March 2012 Sports Affairs
- Indian women boxers M.C. Mary Kom and Sarita on 25 March 2012, won two gold medals in the Asian women’s boxing championship held in Ulaanbator.Mary Kom, the five-time world champion, defeated the two-time world title winner Ren Cancan of China. Sarita, the 2006 world title winner, defeated Chorieva Mavzu of Tajikistan.
- Indian Kabaddi women team won the first ever Women World Cup Kabaddi championship title defeating Iran on 4 March 2012, held in Patna… Sixteen countries participated in this event.
- Indian middle order batsman and former captain Rahul Dravid, on 9 March 2012, announcedhis retirement from international cricket. He has the credit of second highest aggregate of runs in the test history only after Sachin Tendulkar. Dravid scored 13,288 runs in 164 Tests, including 36 hundreds. Dravid made his international debut on 20 June 1996 while playing at the Lord’s against England. He had announced his retirement from the ODIs in England in 2011.
- Roger Federer won the Dubai international open singles tennis title by defeating Andy Murray in the finals held in Dubai on 3 March. While Indian duo Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan bopanna won the mens doubles title.
- West Indian cricket player Runok Mortan on 4 March, killed in a car accident. He played 15 test matches, 56 one day internationals and seven 20-20 matches since 2002.
- Iconic India batsman Sachin Tendulkar on 25 February became the first overseas player to be presented with the honorary life membership of the Sydney Cricket Ground.