Current Affairs – May 2012 Persons
- General Bikram Singh– assumed the charge as the 25th Chief of the Indian Army. He succeeded General V K Singh whose 26-month tenure came to end on 31 May 2012.He will remain at the top position for next two years and three months. Prior to his appointment to the top post, General Bikram served as commanding officer of the Eastern Army Command.
- SHAH RUKH KHAN-The Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) on 18 May 2012 banned Kolkata Knight Rider’s co-owner and Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan from entering the Wankhede Stadium for five years. He was banned for misbehaving with its officials and violating its rules.
- J.M. AYRAULT (62)-A moderate Socialist, took over as the France’s new Prime Ministeron 16 May 2012.
- RAHUL KHULLAR-The Union Government appointed Commerce Secretary Rahul Khullar as the new chairman of the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) for a three-year term on 13 May 2012. He replaced J S Sarma, whose tenure ended on 14 May 2012.
- Vladimir Putin- On 7 may took his oath of office to become Russian president for a historic third time at a glittering ceremony inside the Kremlin. He officially took over from outgoing President Dmitry Medvedev.
- Justice Dalveer Bhandari-Justice Bhandari, the judge of the Indian Supreme Court, was elected to the position of Judge of the International Court of Justice (ICJ). He will have six-year tenure. He is eligible for re-election for a second term of nine years at the end of the present term. He is going to retire in September 2012, as a judge of the Supreme Court to assume the new charge.
- Vidya balan – Union Rural development Ministry of India on 4 May 2012 elected bollywood actor Vidya Balan as the brand ambassador for improving the state of sanitation in the country. Vidyabalan in her new role will spread awareness about the need of sanitation among the people.
- Vikram Singh- Indian-American Vikram Singh, an expert on Afghanistan and Pakistan was appointed to an important position of Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defence for South and South East Asia at the Pentagon.
- Pranab Mukherji-Union Finance Minister of India on 4 May 2012 was elected as Chair of the Asian Development Bank’s (ADB) Board of Governors. India will host the 46th annual meeting of the Asian Development Bank in New Delhi in 2013. Its head quartered at Manila.