Current Affairs – January 2012 Persons
- C. Jagannatha Rao– Senior congress leader and former Deputy Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh died of a heart attack in Secunderabad on 23 January 2012. Jagannatha Rao served as deputy Chief Minister in the Cabinet of Bhavanam Venkatram in 1982.
- Laura Dekker- the 16 year old dutch girl, on 21 January 2012 became the youngest sailor to complete a solo circumnavigation of the world.
- Siddharth Varadarajan –succeded N. Ram as the Editor-in-Chief and Publisher of The Hindu, Business Line , Frontline , and Sportstar.
- Pankaj Pachauri– Senior television journalist, Managing Editor of NDTV was appointed asCommunication Advisor in the Prime Minister’s Office , as Harish Khare resigned as media advisor to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.He has been given the rank of additional secretary.
- Homai Vyarawala- India’s first woman photojournalist, died on 15 January 2012 in Vadodara, Gujarat. She was the only professional woman photojournalist between 1939 and 1970. She was awarded Padma Vibhushan in 2011 in recognition of her contribution as a photo-journalist.
- Nikhat Kazmi- noted film critic died on 20 January 2012 at 53. She reviewed films for the newspaper Times of India. She had also written books on Bollywood – Ire in the Soul: Bollywood’s Angry Years and The Dream Merchants of Bollywood.
- Pro. Parvin Sinclair – Pro-Vice Chancellor, IGNOU, was appointed as the Director of National Council of Educational Research & Training (NCERT) on 25 December 2011.
- M.P. Muralidharan-has taken as the 19th Director-General of the Indian Coast Guardin place of Vice-Admiral Anil Chopra.